Cruise With Me Baby

Imagine clear blue water, sun, sand and warm breezes delicately floating over wet, salt-watered skin. Just you and your love, enjoying a beautiful cruise without a care. Now fast forward 6 years and add a baby into the mix. Chris and I recently went on a family vacation/family reunion for 1 glorious week along the Mexican Riviera. The last time we went on a cruise was 6 years ago for our honeymoon and we coincidentally celebrated our 6th anniversary on this, our second cruise.

I have few complaints, and none about the cruise itself but rather about the changes that I and Chris have undergone as a married couple. Here are a few things that those without children or are thinking of having children, or who perhaps had children too soon after becoming married should know.
1) If you go on a cruise then be prepared to spend quite a bit of time apart. If you don't have your child on a schedule and you're cool with it crying and throwing fits at random times, then your cool. Otherwise, you must succumb to the sleepy times or your scheduled child.
2)Late night walks, and most other late night activities are out of the question. Not because of the kid but because you're too tired. Trust.
3) No one should have to sneak into the bathroom to pee, and finally go up 3 flights to use the public one so that you don't wake their sleeping baby. (we put her in the bathroom to sleep because she can't sleep when there are people in the room with her.)

Overall, I must admit that I really had a good time taking Lenore to Mexico, and having her sleep on my back inside of a carrier, while random Mexicans kept telling me that she was cold because her feet were exposed in 80 degree weather. I also enjoyed taking white knuckled bus rides where traffic signs are merely a loose suggestion. And I especially enjoyed shopping for Coca Cola Light in Cabo with the baby, while Chris puked out his navel into a nautical basin. Final thought: It's sooooo much easier to vacation with a baby on a cruise than on a road trip.

No comments: