N.W.A said it best...


I am not a superstitious person or a sign seeker. I do try to find meaning in the mess of my life, but I don't believe that my parents sins fall upon my head. I'm not even sure I believe in Karma. If this was a true principle then life would be very, VERY different for many people. Having said this I have to admit that my "luck", if you will, is very poor in the traffic ticket department. I have not gotten 1, or even 2, but 3 tickets just this last year. Before this last year I had a pretty clean driving ticket. I was cited for an illegal turn about 10 years ago, and that is it. So...I have to ask the question "Why me?" I am an upholder of the law. When I was in high school I got mocked for using the crosswalk and waiting until the light turned green, while all my friends crossed the street nilly-willy. I do not drive recklessly. I may speed a little, maybe 5 or 10 miles, but I don't weave in and out of traffic or cut people off. I am a fairly considerate driver.

Last night, I was in Whittier running a couple of errands when I stopped at the corner of Whittier Blvd. and Painter. I stopped, looked and then continued on up Painter. As I was turning I saw a car about 100 yards up the street with their dims on. I immediately thought it was a cop who was watching over the good citizens of Whittier and keeping the gangsters at bay. A few moments later I saw the lights behind me and was shocked. Maybe I had a tail light out (I was driving my parents Prius), or perhaps I needed to get out of the way while the cop sped after more dangerous criminals. By-the-way, for anyone who has not driven a Prius they are incredibly difficult to speed with. They take their time and don't stop on a dime and so the driver is always extra cautious of this. Anyway-so he pulls me over and asks if I knew why he pulled me over. I honestly did not. He said...I still can't believe my dumb luck....he said that I failed to stop before or at the line and was citing me for it. I told him, but I stopped. I looked to see if there was oncoming traffic and then I proceeded. He said "Yes-well you failed to stop before or at the line." I just couldn't believe it. Perhaps he thought that since I was driving around a $30,000 dollar car that I could afford his $300 dollar ticket. I don't even know how he could have seen the line from where he was parked on the street above.

Anyhow- I am posting this to ask what lesson you think I am supposed to be learning from all of these tickets. And don't say "Follow the rules!" (This means you Chris...) Because I do follow the rules, and am a pretty safe and competent driver. I also wanted to post that the last 2 tickets I got, I fought, and won. The way I did it was through a website called Ticket Assassin. It's awesome and uses the trial by written declaration as a means to help you stop the government from totally robbing you. So use it and good luck.

8 comments:

Kristine said...

Un-freaking believable. Because I'm SO sure he had NOTHING better to do in Whittier last night. A pox upon his house!!! Evil little man!

sarataxi said...

FIGHT IT FIGHT IT FIGHT IT! THAT SUCKER BETTER NOT SHOW UP IN COURT AND YOU WILL WIN!
What a fool. I would have punched him in the face.

Jeff and Amy said...

Dude, I fought a $400 ticket for speeding...yeah, I know it is hard to believe that I was speeding...but when I lived in SoCal I used ticket assassin and kicked that cops butt. It feels good too beat the cops down like they beat Rodney King. Bye~

Palmyra said...

Thats sad!! Hey, but thanks for the web site cuz Caleb sure needs it. Maybe that's why you got the ticket; so that you could post about it, I could read it and benefit from it. What can I say? God loves me.

Maly and Dan said...

wow, i can't believe that! Fight it and let us know what happened. Didn't stop before the line that is a bunch of crab. Sorry...fight girl...

Laura Thompson said...

I'm sorry...I was about to let you in on exactly the lesson you're supposed to learn from this experience, but I've been attacked by Bo (I like to call him Mr. Paparazzi) and our new camera that he bought with the money he got from selling his gun. I guess you will just have to figure it out for yourself.

Gene said...

Do what I do. Ignore the ticket until it triples in price and they suspend your license, but still drive because you have to, then go to court and waste a day and ask the judge to drop the price to the original price. He will only drop it about half, but hey that is something right? Or you could just do 3rd offender traffic school.

Veronica said...

I am so sorry, I know how you feel. They don't even follow the rules...where's the cops for the cops? Keep us apprise of the situation.