This place is Cursed-Peck!


So, Napa is beautiful. In fact it seems to get more and more lovely with the recent rains that we've had. The green, lush valley even has some patches of the California Poppy glittered upon it. And yet, with all this beauty I fear that this land is cursed. I am not a superstitious person in any way. I have broken my share of mirrors, spilled salt and walked under plenty of ladders and am still here, however Napa-as beautiful as it is, is cursed. I have been ill a total of 5 times since we've moved here. This last week I was just starting to get better after suffering another cold, and decided to return to the gym. I was there only twice before I started getting sick again. Body aches and all. I thought "Maybe I'm just tired, or I'm stressed out." But you know what stresses me out more than the 200 kids I teach and the pile of grading I see each day-it's getting sick!

So my throat was sore, visited the doctor and he said "I think it's just a virus. Your body will have to work through it." Then, just when the body aches started going away, I somehow through my back out-pinched nerve or some crap like that. I feel like I'm in traction. If I move my right shoulder or head too much I get shooting pain. This is all getting ridiculous. I have been on antibiotics, I have soaked in hot tubs, I have taken vitamins, tried to exercise before or in between illness, and I am even trying to eat right. So my question is what the heck? This is why I am positive that Napa is cursed. So...any of you who are thinking of visiting the beauty here, or frequenting the vineyards, I am sure you will be fine. Just don't decide to move here or you will never be well again. Now I'm going to carefully get up and return to the recliner that has become my new home. Ugggg.

4 comments:

Sandy Plummer said...

We've taken note and will not move to Napa! Sorry you've been so sick! WE watch the dumbest TV shows. I've never watched Lost or 30 Rock. We're lame! It was good to see you at the V-day party. We did have a good turn out. Hope things get better for you and that you get better. Lenore cracks me up! She's hilarious! The cutest mush-mouth ever! Take care of yourself and come back and visit!!!

Veronica said...

What a bummer, and why do we even pay so much for Healthcare if the doctors don't help out?!? My shoulder was in pain for quite a while and I was told to stretch. Stretch, huh? That is when it hurt the most. I agree, Ugggg.

Kristine said...

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well....I know all too well how much it SUCKS! Hope you're on the mend by now. Maybe you should consider taking up permanent residency in that recliner. As long as you have access to a computer, food & a bathroom...what else could you need??

Anonymous said...

Ahh, that doesn't sound like the northern California I lived in for a year - granted it I was only in the bay area. I think it's a combination of things - the stress of moving up there and the new school (i.e. new viruses, bacterias, and so forth, your body has to adjust to). Just think, next winter you won't be as bad off!