Whew! What a relief...

Those that have been keeping up with the Facebook updates know that I finally coerced my doctor into allowing me to be induced. Many people have their opinions about this and believe that the babies should be allowed to come when they want to and that your messing with nature when you are trying to make the baby come out when it is not ready. I totally agree that under normal circumstances when it's time, it's time. If you are a week over due or something like that, or have other medical issues then let's do this! But- when it comes to carrying two babies in your abdomen at the same time, well...it's not the same.

I was basically a walking incubator. A shell of a human and whisper of the person I used to be. Not trying to be dramatic, just trying to explain accurately what it was like for me to carry twins. Sitting was uncomfortable, lying down was often painful and walking was unbearable. I had constant contractions since my 26th week of pregnancy. That's the 6th month, and I carried these babies for 3 1/2 more months.

The day I went in to the doctor I was somewhat anxious. "Was I doing the right thing?" "Was I putting myself or my babies under unwarranted danger?"However, when I walked into the room that I was going to be staying in- I felt completely at ease thanks to the many prayers and good thoughts of friends and family far and wide. They hooked me up to the monitors and IV's and medication and I just sat there and waited.

At around 11:30 the following day- Sunday, the slowness of it all progressed very quickly and I went from 100% effaced and 6 cm dilated to one of the babies heads ready to come out. They wheeled me into the OR (Kaiser policy for twins just in case things go badly) at around 12:45 and about 8-10 pushes later the babies were out and I felt this surge of relief.

With our first child, Lenore, I was a total wreck postpartum. I had a tough time with many things- feeding, sleeplessness and loss of freedom with gain of crazy responsibility. With this pregnancy and birth I feel the exact opposite. I was a prisoner of my body's
limitations. I was a 1,00- year old woman trapped in the avatar of a 31 year-old pregnant woman. I feel wonderful now. I can bend over and walk and sit without pain. I have the energy and strength to do small tasks like put stuff away or wash a dish. I feel a sense of freedom this time instead of confinement like I did last time.

The babies are great, and sweet, and healthy. Chris is a little bit stressed, but he is overwhelmed with oncoming Fall semester and a major move that will affect us all. He has been super, though. Cleaning and helping, taking care of Lenore and doing my bidding (even when he shouldn't like midnight runs to Del Taco for nachos and chili cheese fries). Everything is super and I am really
grateful. We are surrounded by people who love and care for us and help us, even if we are too proud to ask (one of my aunts stayed with us in the hospital during delivery and helped every
day we were there- even bought chocolate's for the medical crews that gave me and the babies our around the clock care).

I try not to think about the bad things that could happen because I am somewhat superstitious. If it's too good to be true then it probably is- right? Well- I am going to put aside my silly superstition for now and just enjoy.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations you guys! You are like my mothering hero! I don't know how you did it... they are beautiful!
I wish Reno was closer so we could see you all.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It is so hard to believe that you had 2 babies and are already home! What are all of the details? Names size etc. Maybe you posted that and I missed it! Glad to hear you are doing well: )

Anonymous said...

Oops that was Margie

Cindy Thomas Munksgard said...

Congrats! So glad everything went great and that you're feeling better.

Palmyra said...

Congrats!! I especially loved the very last picture with you carrying both twins with you sitting on the wheel chair. It reminded me of the famous quote by Martin Luther King, Jr. "Free at last; free at last;...." you know the rest. ;)hee hee.

Amy said...

Congrats again! I am so glad that everything went so well for you guys during the delivery! I definitely understand the awesome feeling of not being pregnant with twins anymore - unfortunately for me along with that came having to recover from a c-section, so I'm sure you enjoyed the feeling right after they were born more than I did :) That's awesome that things are going so well! You seem to be handling things beautifully. I do remember you saying way back when that you didn't have the personality to be chill and handle twins, yet you are doing it - ye of little faith in yourself :)

Laura Thompson said...

Yay! We're so happy for you guys. I can't believe you have two babies! They are adorable. Lenore looks like such a big girl now. I wish we could be there with you guys. We miss you.