Little Star


I read this Graphic Novel the other day called Little Star. It is a story about a dude and his life with a 2 year old girl. The art was cool, and the story was cool but what really made it stick out to me were the parallels the main character had with me. First off, he is constantly awoken by his little girl. Sure thats every parent. He is also an artist working in a pseudo-art industry with secret dreams of being a real artist. He likes to go stargazing to relax and ponder crap. He likes to take his family geocaching. So many things helped me to relate to this short illustrated story. It almost felt like it was a premonition of the years ahead. Vicky read it and she too was stunned by the parallels. She even spoke of writing the author to let him know that he nailed us down.
I have several friends who are trying their best to provide for their families. My best friend even returned to school at age 30 to ensure his family is supported with a better career. I admire this and may follow his example. My brother Gene can't seem to make it back to school. He is currently trying to become a pilot with hopes that his passion can become profitable. Meanwhile, he is very committed to providing for his family and so he works diligently at a different trade which allows his wife to stay home. And he was the irresponsible one growing up. My other brother Jeff, I worry less about. He'll will always be ok. He is very good at taking care of himself and earning money. But even still i am sure he feels the pressure as a new father.
I had a therapist once tell me that things tend to work themselves out somehow. Just because you can't foresee the end result doesn't mean that you should doubt it will turn out fine. Vicky and I prayed diligently for the chance to have a child. I really wasn't expecting the infertility crap to work. When She told me the test was positive I still didn't want to get my hopes up. Finally we have Lenore and its the most bitchen thing ever. I even like her when she is crying her head off and drooling all over me. But looking back, there was nothing simple about getting to this point. Vicky has 3 scars on her belly to attest to it. I seem to worry about it even though the outcome is well behind us. Maybe i should see that therapist again. $60 a session though. That could buy alot of comic books.

No comments: